Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mission IIT/IISC Part 2 (Interview part 2 at IIT Bombay)

My M.Tech. interview at IIT Bombay held on 17th May.
I just gave my IIT Kanpur interview and that was an average interview.
So I was little bit tensed for IITB.

At IITB, there was 4-5 panels, each consisting of 2 people according to different streams (Communication,microelectronics,etc.). Selection criteria was 70% to GATE score and 30% to interview. Out of almost 20seats, 14 people were offered direct admission and for the other 6 seats interview were being held.

I had given my only preference viz. Communication.

So interview began like this:

Initially interviewers asked what have you prepared for the interview (a typical question)?
I said "Error correcting codes", same what i said at IITK.
They asked:
1) What is Hamming distance?
2) What is the significance of Hamming distance?
3) What is the relation between error correcting capability and hamming distance? Derive the relation.
4) What is the hamming distance of Hamming code?

Then they asked me for my B.Tech. project report. I did my final year project at GMRT (Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope), TIFR. Both had done some work there. So they asked what had i done,what part i contributed the project and how did i successfully executed my part.

My project was related to Radio frequency interference for GMRT antennas. So from that, they asked me which digital modulation scheme is suitable for minimizing Cellular mobile interference.

Then they turn towards Mathematics. Initially they asked some very basic questions on Probability. Then i was asked to find complex intergration (that we have for GATE syllabus).

Output:
Interview was better than that of IITKIITB professors were also too cool. Still I couldn't make for IITB. I do not know exact reason. As usual IITB interview was based on very basic things and asked on projects too.So be specific and speak specific!

No comments:

Post a Comment